Thursday, November 18, 2010

Hamburgers and Cupcakes

What a fancy lunch. 

I met a new friend, Lee Ann, for lunch today.  She was kind enough to come to my neighborhood since I am still learning my way around.  We decided on a little hamburger joint nearby called My Father’s Sandwiches. 

It was actually pretty good, and greasy like a hamburger should be. They had about 8 or 10 different kinds of burgers.  One that came with eggplant, one with a sweet potato sauce, and another with an egg on top.  A fried egg can be added to any dish in Korea, it amazes me. I just ordered the basic cheeseburger with grilled onions.

From what I can tell, beef is kind of a rarity here.  All my kids tell me how bad beef is for you and that you shouldn’t eat it. It’s a special occasion only kind of thing.

I think my favorite thing about Korea thus far, and this is going to be silly, is that everywhere you go your drink comes with a bendy straw.  It’s just fun. 

After lunch we walked across to my cupcake shop as they had just opened.  Those clever little Koreans.  This is how he gave me my cupcake.

In a little plastic container, served with a fork.  It was delicious.  This was my first actual cupcake in Korea since Charles ate my other attempt.  I’m a fan.  And it’s only a block away.

I’m sitting at work and I’m starving. Writing this post is not helping. I’m here for another 3 hours and I’m pretty sure it’s going to be a street vendor kind of dinner tonight.

Work has been busy this week as my entire schedule is changed for the next four weeks.  We are prepping all the middle-school kids for their finals at their regular school. When I got to work one of my Korean co-teachers asked me if I wanted to volunteer with her at the local animal shelter.  Of course I said yes! That would make me so happy, I can’t wait to start doing that.  She has two dogs herself so we swap dog stories often.

Tomorrow I am supposed to go to Costco and get my health check that’s required for my alien card.  I’m sure that will be a much more exciting story.  This weekend I plan to visit the salon to get my hair cut and eyebrows done.  I expect that to be a pretty entertaining venture.

bye for now! I love you all!
Amy Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment