Thursday, July 21, 2011

Hi. I’m Thirty.

It comes as a surprise to most people but I have actually been looking forward to my 30th birthday for quite a while. I’ve embraced it in every way possible.  I was so ready to be 30. It’s not that I expected to feel any different or have any major epiphanies at this great age, I just felt like it was a good marker.  The end of one chapter, and the beginning of another. I enjoyed my 20s.  I actually loved my 20s, I had a blast.  But now I’m ready to bury that decade, volumes 2, 3, & 4 of my life so far, back in the deep dusty corner of the library. The World According to Amy: Volume 5 is gonna rock for completely different reasons.

The birthday celebration started Thursday night, sightly after midnight when I got a call from Marisol, Madelein and a taxi driver who all sang Happy Birthday to me over the phone.  Then we went to my favorite bbq place, LA Galbi, that’s right around the corner from my apartment.  I go there a lot.  Like 2-4 times a week a lot.

DSCN1604

This is my best Korean cheen-gu (friend), Chang Lee.  He always gives my friends and me free stuff.  Free cola, free ice cream, and sometimes even (free) extra meat.  This specific night we received meat, soju, and chocolate snack cakes all on the house because of my birthday. Chang Lee and I are BFF’s.

DSCN1608

And here are Madelein and me having a chopstick war.  Pay no attention to the two empty soju bottles on the table…. We’re classy ladies.

It was late when we left so Marisol had to head home.  She works much earlier than the rest of us.  Madelein and I, however, saw the sunrise.  Thank goodness I work at 4pm. 

My actual birthday was Friday and that was fairly anticlimactic but I wanted it that way.  I left work at 11, picked up a pizza and diet coke, and spent the evening with my perfect animal.  It was exactly what I wanted for that night.  Also, I was still feeling a little rough from the night before and knew that I had an early morning the next day.

Saturday, the real celebration, was awesome!  Amazing.  Incredible.  Such.A.Good.Time. My friend, Lee Ann, had also turned 30 while here in Korea. Her birthday was two days after she arrived though so we decided to celebrate our birthdays together.  For our joint birthday celebration, we decided to go zip lining at Herb Hillz in Daegu. This is something I have been wanting to do for most of my time here and can now check it off my Everything I Want To Do In Korea list. There will be a separate blog just for our zip lining/obstacle course adventure, but until then here are a few pictures to tide you over.

 

DSCN1713

DSCN1725

Rockin’ good time, folks.  And followed up with some pretty darn good Mexican food, too.  That will all be in the next blog though.

No comments:

Post a Comment