Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Lessons for 2012

Hello.  I’ve made a habit of writing down my lessons learned at the end of each year but truly this year, I don’t think I have any.  Of course there have been little things along the way, but nothing blog worthy. 2011 was a pretty enjoyable year for me.  I have absolutely no complaints.  (I figure after surviving 2009 and 2010 with as much grace as I could possibly muster, Karma owed me a good one.)

As I am in my quest for Buddhist enlightenment (and education), I saw this and thought it would be an appropriate posting as we begin a new year.  Regardless of any religious affiliations, I think we all strive to be good people, to help make the world a better place, and live a happy and fulfilling life.  I’m a firm believer that Karma is a guiding force in the universe. I always have.  You will get from life exactly what you put into it. 

(Thanks to my friend Renee for posting this on facebook earlier.)

By the Dalai Lama
  1. Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
  2. When you lose, don’t lose the lesson.
  3. Follow the three R’s:
    -  Respect for self,
    -  Respect for others and
    -  Responsibility for all your actions.
  4. Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.
  5. Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
  6. Don’t let a little dispute injure a great relationship.
  7. When you realize you’ve made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
  8. Spend some time alone every day.
  9. Open your arms to change, but don’t let go of your values.
  10. Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
  11. Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and
    think back, you’ll be able to enjoy it a second time.
  12. A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.
  13. In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Don’t bring up the past.
  14. Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.
  15. Be gentle with the earth.
  16. Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.
  17. Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.
  18. Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
  19. If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
  20. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
The only thing that I can probably add to this (for my own life, not trying to one up the Dalai Lama) is to stop letting people into my life that don’t deserve to be there.  A good friendship/relationship/ whatevership shouldn’t require a tremendous amount of work or stress.  If it isn’t working, let it go.
Oh, and don’t eat tuna right before bedtime.  It’ll cause you to have crazy dreams.

1 comment: