Monday, August 13, 2012

Things That Make Me Smile

Pop Culture Edition.

First, I love this commercial.  Love.  Korean advertising normally confuses me ever so slightly (probably because I can’t understand what they are saying) but this one is very straight forward.  And even though it’s for a diet company, who hasn’t felt like this?

I call him “fat baby” and I think he’s absolutely adorable! 

 

The second one is a new pop song that is making it’s rounds around the world. It’s called “Gangnum Style”, referencing an upscale suburb of Seoul, and sung by a gentleman named Psy.  CNN and other major news outlets have been covering it because of it’s widespread popularity. 

You can’t not love the “horse riding dance.”  Or maybe you can. I don’t know.  But, my students sing this all the time even though I think the lyrics might be a little PG-13.  Note: This is what ‘sexy’ means in Korea.  Everyone is fully clothed and no dirty dancing!  It’s such a nice change of pace.

2 comments:

  1. The fat baby reminds me of an episode of Doctor Who:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57g3dKzYMuU

    And you know I love Gangnam Style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a duet of Gangnam Style with Hyuna. It's more girl-centric. Unfortunately, that translates to less horsey dancing.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcLNteez3c4&feature=player_embedded

    ReplyDelete